In January 1999 my fiance Michael Price died of Carbon Monoxide poisoning caused by a blocked flue to his living room stove. If he had had the flue regularly swept and bought himself an audible CO detector he would still be alive today.
It is vitally important that everybody is aware of this silent, invisible, odourless poison and how to stay safe.
So I very much welcome Dominic’s Day on April 30th in memory of a 10 year old boy who would have been 21 this month.
National Grid has joined forces with the Dominic Rodgers Trust to organise 'Dominic's Day'. Senior directors and managers from National Grid's Gas Distribution business will be launching 321 balloons from the Hilton Hotel, Bridgefoot, Stratford, to mark the event.
'Dominic's Day' is being held in memory of Dominic Rodgers, who died when deadly carbon monoxide (CO) seeped into his home from a neighbour's faulty boiler.
Emma Fitzgerald, director of Gas Distribution for National Grid, said: "Dominic's story touches everyone across the country. At National Grid we are committed to raising awareness to prevent more tragic and unnecessary deaths.
"Carbon monoxide poisoning can be avoided by taking simple steps. Ensure your gas appliances are fitted, maintained and serviced annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer and as a back-up, fit an audible carbon monoxide detector."
After Dominic's death, his mother, Stacey Rodgers, formed the Dominic Rodgers Trust and has campaigned tirelessly nationally for greater awareness of carbon monoxide poisoning and a wider use of carbon monoxide alarms in people's homes.
Stacey said: "More than 50 people a year still die from carbon monoxide poisoning in the UK. These are all deaths which could have been easily preventable. The purpose of Dominic's Day is to make people aware of the dangers of this 'silent killer', what to look out for and how to protect themselves. If the Dominic's Day campaign helps to save just one life, it will have been worth it."
Across the UK, other similar events will be taking place to raise the profile of the Dominic Rogers Trust nationally.
For further information about the Dominic Rodgers Trust, please visit www.sites.google.com/site/dominicrodgerstrust
For further information about the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning, please visit www.nationalgrid.com/safety