Something I hear more and more about when talking to local people on the doorstep is the National Health Service.
People tell me it’s getting harder to see the family doctor. The Conservative and Liberal Democrat Coalition scrapped Labour’s guarantee of a GP appointment within 48 hours soon after they were elected - and now 60 per cent of patients say they can’t see their GP within two days. In this area I know some residents who have waited for as long as three weeks.
David Cameron has wasted £3 billion on a damaging NHS reorganisation he promised wouldn’t happen. There have been repeated warnings of a crisis in the health service due to private profit being put before patient care. The government are blamed for allowing vital services to be run down to the point at which nurses and doctors no longer have time to see patients in the way they would want and elderly people needing care have been left isolated and without support.
Your Conservative MP voted very strongly for these changes. And sadly Nick Clegg and the Lib Dems have backed the Tories all the way too.
Labour rescued the NHS after years of Tory neglect before and we’ll do it again.
- We’ll repeal the Conservative’s NHS changes that put private profit before patients so that NHS professionals can focus on your care.
- We’ll invest in 8,000 more GPs, 20,000 more nurses, 3000 more midwives and 5000 more home-care workers as part of our plan to build an NHS and social care system with the time to care for those who rely on it.
- And we’ll guarantee a GP appointment within 48 hours and on the same day for those who need it.
And we will pay for this by:
- Clamping down on tax avoidance schemes that allow hedge funds and big companies to avoid paying taxes when they are due.
- Raising the tax on properties worth more than £2million.
- Raising tax on tobacco company profits.
Please take a moment to fill in this survey to share your thoughts on the National Health Service and Labour's plan to rescue it. Your responses will help me to campaign effectively on improving our local health services. All responses will be kept confidential.